Connecting The Fuel System........Stop.

Getting super excited with the finish line in site, I decided to connect up the fuel tank and associated fuel lines.

Just one thing left to do before the final connections.
Inspect the inside of the tank and internal components and what  found was while she has been sitting with no fuel in the tank for the past few years the some for the rubbers had perished and condensation had caused a small amount of corrosion.



The internal fuel tube that feeds from the injection system back in to the fuel pump fell apart in my fingers. Time to dig deeper.


The fuel pump mounting rubber had also deteriorated to the point that when I tried to remove it from the pump the lower section came completely apart. Oh well, better to find these problems now rather than later. 
Once completely dismantled I tested the pump on the bench and guess what? seized.....umph!! So I soaked overnight in some crc and tested again in the morning and it's all good, purring away like it should. 
I grabbed a price on a new rubber mount and fuel strainer, the combined price of $200.00 Australian which equates to around $5.85 US lol. I will come up with another option as I just can't see the value.


With the tank thoroughly washed out and completely dry, I decided to give it a sealer treatment more for my piece of mind than anything else, as I'm sure it would have been fine.


I went with the KBS product and it was very easy to use.

Only 96 hours to wait until the sealer is completely dry. 


All nicely coated.

I will be aiming to put a fire in the old girls belly next weekend, will keep you all posted.







  


Comments

Post a Comment